Friday, March 27, 2015

What to Pack for a Trip to Disneyland

You're getting ready to take the kiddos to the Happiest Place on Earth? What to bring, what to bring???

Here's what's in my backpack.





1. Wallet or a version of it
Since I try to limit what I have to carry, I only bring cash, a credit card, my driver's license, and our annual passes.

2. Diapers
Since my 2 year old is not potty trained yet, I pack 4-5 diapers depending on how long I plan on staying. I'd rather have too many than too little.

3. Wipes
I use wipes for EVERYTHING not just diaper changes.

4. Hand sanitizer or as I call it "magic soap"
Think about all of the dirty, grubby, little paws that were just touching the safety bar that now secures your precious one in her seat. Gross!

5. Sunblock
I find that I need the sunblock more than my kids since they're usually tucked in the stroller, but it's still a good idea to apply to everyone.

6. Water
You are allowed to bring water and food into the parks as long as they are not in a glass container. There have been times when we are in line for a ride and my child asks for water. I've learned that carrying just a small bottle of water in the backpack has been very beneficial.

7. Snacks
I keep a few snacks in my backpack just in case someone's growling tummy is about to cause a meltdown.

8. Mommy essentials
Phone, chapstick, band aids, Excedrin...don't leave home without them. However, First Aid will gladly give you free band aids and aspirin if you forgot your own.


In addition to my backpack, I load up my stroller. Why not? I have the room.

  • sweaters or jackets and a small blanket if the weather is cold
  • an extra set of clothes just in case someone has an accident or we have a little too much fun at the water play area in Bug's Land
  • water for everyone along with some sort of caffeinated drink for myself. If the weather is warm, I take a water bottle the night before, drink almost half of it, put it in the freezer, and refill it with more water the next morning before we go. That way, it stays cold, but I can still drink it right away.
  • my Ergobaby carrier. Even though my son is 2 years old, sometimes the only way I can get him to take a nap is if he's in the Ergobaby carrier. The best part is that if he does nap in the carrier, I can switch him to the front side and we can still go on rides.
  • our bright green lunchbag with lunch and snacks. It serves two purposes: it keeps our food cold and its bright color makes spotting our stroller much easier.

Here are few nonessentials that are fun to have too.
  • A misting fan. It can get quite hot standing in those long lines and many of the lines are outside with very little shade.
  • An autograph book or something for the characters to sign. You can get really creative with this. I've heard of people bringing pillow cases and plain, white picture frame mats to have signed.
  • A princess dress for your princess. The dresses are highly marked up at the park and Downtown Disney so I don't recommend buying one there. I don't let K wear a princess dress every time we go since I don't want them to get trashed. However, there was one trip when we specifically went to meet Elsa and Anna so I let her take her Elsa dress. 



Sure, you can go to Disneyland with much less (or much more) stuff, but I think I've found a pretty good balance. Yes, you can buy water and lunch in the park, but those $3 waters add up pretty quickly. Check back for my post on how to save money when going to Disneyland.


No comments:

Post a Comment