Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Packing Lunch vs Buying Lunch at Disneyland

When we visit Disneyland and California Adventure, I usually pack all of our snacks and lunches. Every once in a while, I will just pack snacks and buy lunch there. I have friends who don't pack anything and buy everything in the park. That got me thinking. How much am I saving when I bring our own food and drinks?

I did a little research (and I mean little, so some of my prices are estimates) to find out how much it would cost to buy everything compared to how much it costs to bring it from home. I do the majority of my shopping at Ralph's (Kroger) but I also shop at Target and Costco. When I pack lunches, I usually don't pack a full lunch for myself since my kids don't ever eat all of their lunch so I eat their leftovers.


Here we go...

Lunch

  • Uncrustable Sandwich $0.66 vs $2.29
  • Cheese Stick $0.27 vs $0.99
  • Cheese Stick $0.27 vs $0.99 
  • Berries $2.50 vs $3.49
  • Macaroni n Cheese $1.00 vs $4.49 (meal)
  • Applesauce $0.33 vs $0 (included in meal)
  • Milk $1.00 vs $0 (included in meal)
  • Milk $1.00 vs $1.79
Total for lunch brought from home $7.03
Total for lunch bought at parks $14.04

Snacks
  • Goldfish Crackers $1.00 vs $3.19 (bag of chips)
  • Cliff Bar $0.99 vs $3.59 (protein bar)
  • Cliff Bar $0.99 vs $3.59
  • Yogurt $1.00 vs $2.19
  • Yogurt $1.00 vs $2.19
  • Veggie Stix $2.00 vs $3.19
  • Grapes $1.15 vs $2.99
  • Smart Water $1.00 vs $3.79
  • Smart Water $1.00 vs $3.79
  • Smart Water $1.00 vs $3.79
  • Iced Tea $1.00 vs $4.00
Total for snacks brought from home $12.13
Total for snacks bought at parks $36.30

Grand total for food brought from home $19.16
Grand total for food bought at parks $50.34

I save $31.18 by bringing my own food and drinks! 

If you can't (or don't want to) pack complete lunches and snacks for your trip, here are a few tips to help cut down on the cost. You can also check out the menu and prices for all of the restaurants including fast service restaurants on Disneyland's website.

Bring a few snacks
Even if you can just bring in a bag of chips and a couple granola bars, that's $10 still in your pocket.

Bring a refillable water bottle
You can get free ice water at any food service station that has a soda fountain. Bringing your own refillable water bottle will allow you to store that ice cold water in your backpack so that you're not stuck in a 45-minute line with a thirsty kid because you know he wasn't thirsty before you entered into the line.

Share meals
Some of the meals are definitely big enough to share like pasta dishes. 

Eat at Downtown Disney
There are some cheaper options in Downtown Disney like Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen Express or my personal favorite, Earl of Sandwich. When I meet my sister-in-law at the park, we always stop at Earl of Sandwich and keep our yummy sandwich goodness in our insulated lunch bags until lunch time. While you're not saving a ton of money with this option, Downtown Disney offers a wider variety and the food quality is much better than anything you'll find in the parks.

Of course, there are things that are definitely worth the splurge.

Tiki Juice Bar (Disneyland)
Here, you can indulge in the famous Dole Whip which is so good, there's a copycat recipe floating around Pinterest (tried it...no comparison). This is the perfect remedy to a hot day.

Ghiradelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop (California Adventure)
If chocolate is your weakness, then you must make a pitstop here. They've got everything from cookies to lattes to an eight-scoop-ice-cream-sundae that can feed a small army. The best part is that you get a free sample of Ghiradelli chocolate. Bonus!

What's your favorite splurge at Disneyland and California Adventure? Leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment