Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Parenting is...

...counting down until wine o' clock and bedtime
I love spending time with the kids. We have fun making random crafts out of whatever I have laying around the house, riding bikes while ringing all of the neighbors' doorbells to see who can come out to play, and playing with the 5.892 millions toys in the living room all at once; but by the afternoon, I'm done and cannot wait until I can relax with a glass of wine and watch a mindless tv show that is not on the Disney Junior channel.

...repeating yourself
Sometimes, or all of the time rather, I think it would be easier to just talk to the wall. "Hello? Hello? Is this thing on <tap, tap>?"

...wiping butts and faces (not in that order)
My daughter is potty trained but she cannot be trusted to wipe her booty just yet so I'm still on the hook for two clean booties not including my own. And there's the other end too. How can so much food end up around the mouth and so little food end up in the mouth?


...making empty threats
"I guess we won't go to (name somewhere fun) anymore." Probably not. I am looking forward to that outing just as much as the kids.
"I'm going to throw away (name object he/she refuses to put away)." Uh, no. If I really followed through on that one, all that would remain in the house are things too big for the trash can.
"I will have to call (name friend's parent) and tell her we can't come over anymore on (name day on which playdate is scheduled)." Yea, right. I need the adult interaction.
"Ok, I'm leaving. Bye." Of course, I would never leave my child but the threat of it really gets their butts in gear.

...being a walking zombie
A dear friend of mine once told me that even after your little one starts "sleeping through the night," she never really sleeps through the night. K sometimes has a nightmare and I need to give her a hug; or R sometimes wakes up at 4am I need to convince him that it's still nighttime. My neighbor's 4 year old talks in her sleep. She recently started singing in her sleep. I find it hilarious but that's because I'm not the one who is woken up by "you're a grand ol' flag, you're a high flying flag" at 2am. If it's not the kids, it's the cat or the husband. I can't remember the last time I slept 6 continuous hours. I probably drink between 2-5 cups of some sort of tea each day to help keep my eyes open.

...telling little, white lies
Can you imagine what your child's face would look like if you told her what you really thought of her drawing? "Uh, that's a WHAT???" To help cut down on her future therapy bills, tell a little, white lie. "That looks beautiful. Tell me all about it. I'm so interested in it." My favorite little, white lie right now is "it got old." I say it all the time even when it doesn't really apply. My response to "what happened to my (drawing, toy from Chuck E Cheese, etc)" is always "it got old so I threw it away." It will be a sad, sad day when the kids figure out that $.15 toys don't get old and I have to find another nice way to say that I don't want lots of cheap, plastic crap overtaking the living room.

...searching for things
I spend a good portion of the day finding missing toys that are needed RIGHT NOW, determining where that smell is coming from, and searching for something orange (color changes day to day) that R got into and has spilled on himself.

...fantasizing about getting away but missing them when you do
Recently, my husband and I had our first getaway without the kiddos. We had a wonderful time. We got to sleep in and eat hot meals in nice restaurants. I was able to just relax and wasn't responsible for anyone but myself. The only schedule that I had to adhere to was our dinner reservations. But I couldn't help but get a little sad when I saw other young children running around. I kept thinking about how much K and R would have loved splashing around in the pool or playing beanbag toss with the other kids. I definitely missed seeing their little smiles. I must love them or something.


No comments:

Post a Comment