Monday, May 25, 2015

Quick and Easy Father's Day Gifts

Father's Day is June 21 this year!

Even though my husband and I don't exchange gifts for holidays or birthdays, I still like to do a little something for Father's Day from the kids. In years past, Father's Day has snuck up on me so I have had to obsessively search Pinterest to come up with a cute idea. This year, though, I'm ahead of the game. In case you're not, here are a few simple and cheap if not free ideas.

Pictures!
There are so many cute ideas of pictures for a Father's Day gift.


 I made the letters out of cardboard and painted them black. I used a white sheet as my backdrop. R was not into this photo shoot so it was a bit tricky, but we made it work. I just had to pay for the pictures and frame, which I probably bought with a 40% off coupon at Michael's.

I took the kids to our local Picture People Studio for our Father's Day gift for this year, 2015. I brought along a few props: my husband's shoes, his favorite tie, and a small chalkboard. Luckily, they had the red wooden letters too. Now, all that I have to do is find a picture frame.

Photo blocks is another great idea. Just pick up some wooden blocks from your local craft store, print out pictures (regular computer paper will do just fine) and glue them onto the blocks. Done!

Artwork
How can he not love something handmade by his kids?

The kids and I love to paint. I saw this idea on Pinterest and knew that I had to do it. I had everything that I needed: canvas and paint; so I didn't have to spend a dime to make it. I just painted the background. When it was dry, I brushed a little white paint on K's hand. I added a small heart that I had cut out of paper to the palm of her hand. I gently placed her hand on the canvas. Next was R's turn. I painted his left foot with a little white paint and then placed it on the canvas. I repeated the process with his right foot and painted the "L" and "e" to complete the word "love."

Some things to remember are 1) don't use too much paint for the hand and footprints or it will look too sloppy and 2) if you have squirmy youngsters, let the first print dry before attempting the second/third print.

A Special Quote
I found this adorable quote and I'm sure I'll be using it for gifts for my husband for years to come.

A father is a daughter's first love and a son's first hero


I found a keychain on Etsy with this quote. If you haven't discovered the wonderful world of Etsy, you need to. They only sell homemade or vintage items, and I love the idea of supporting a small business or even a SAHM like myself. 

Last year, I "interviewed" K about her dad and framed her answers. Her 4-year-old answers were so adorable.What does Daddy share? His puzzles, crayons, toys, and cheetos, of course. Kids have such a fun innocence about them and this is a perfect way to capture that.

If all else fails, make his favorite dinner and give him a "get out of jail free" coupon.

No comments:

Post a Comment